Knuckles five peaks considered as one of the best hiking destinations in Sri Lanka. It’s an ideal place for those who are in love to go hiking & trekking. Someone called this as ‘Five peaks of Knuckles’. The knuckle shape of these five peaks has given the name of ‘Knuckles’ to this mountain range. All five peaks are looking like the same elevation. But the second peak is considered as the highest elevation point with the height of 1864 m. Apart from that, which is the second-highest peak in the entire Knuckles massif after the peak Gombaniya (1906 m).
How to Reach Knuckles Five Peaks?
The place is located in the central part of the Knuckles Massif near the boarder of Kandy and Matale Districts. There are two major routes to reach the Knuckles Five Peaks. The popular route is Wattegama- Bambarella route. And the Next route is Teldeniya-Thangappuwa route.
Starting from Kandy, The distance from the Wattegama-Bambarella route is almost 40Km. But it is approximately 50 km through Teldeniya-Thangappuwa Route. However, the surrounding nature of the second road is much more beautiful than the first one. Most of the travelers pick out the Wattegama – Bambarella route proper to its least distancing. But the road conditions are poor after the Gomaraya village in there. You can experience much better infrastructure facilities when you are reaching from the other road.
Trekking to Knuckles Five Peak
Trekking will start from Dawatagala for those who selected to travel via Bambarella and Gomaraya. The total trekking distance from there is about 4 km to the first peak. It’s easy to find Dawatagala Starting point due to Google Maps. The place consists of a few hotels near the peak, and you can select one of them to stay there after the hike. The whole hike will take more than 8 hours to complete. The starting point has enough parking facilities for small vehicles. But you can select any other place to park your vehicles after taking permissions from locals.
Clear footpath is nice to start the hike. A few meters from the start will carry you to another beautiful place around there. It’s a beautiful waterfall called ‘Knuckles Falls”. The height of the waterfall is about 10 m, and it’s not much wider like other waterfalls. This is an perfect place to take some photographs. Drink less water from the fall and feel it’s a little cool.
After getting refreshed from the Knuckles Falls, you can start the hike again. The footpath is not difficult in the beginning. But it’s getting gradually difficult when the elevator going up. You can view a clear picture of the Knuckles Five Peaks throughout the trek.
During the trekking you will meet a few little streams. But there is a stream that you should cross. It is the last water resource until you reach the fourth peak. Therefore, you should fill your all water bottles from there. Cool, clear water is good enough to drink. After the stream you will get in to the forest cover from a few meters. There are some nice places to stay and get a little rest. A nearly one-kilometer walk will take to the first view point. It’s not difficult to walk through the forest cover.
The first viewpoint is a nice place to sit down and watch the beauty of the nature. During our trip to Knuckles Five peaks, we were staying there for a few minutes. After the refreshment from there, you can start the trek again. Until you reach the First peak, You will meet another two views points. The last half kilometer of the hike is much harder. The slope is getting up and that will make travelers to cross some difficult steeping areas. The footpath from Thangappuwa will join from the right side, just before the first peak.
The first peak has no viewpoints due to its forest cover with big trees. The downward slope after the first will end up with another upward walk. Now, you will be at the Second Peak. This is the highest point in the hike with the elevation of 1864 m. You can stay in the big stone in that peak and enjoy the beauty of the surround. Second peak also a nice place for camping. But you are not allowed to do that. The Forest department doesn’t give permissions to camping there. However, few of them break the rule and going camping.
After the second peak you have to walk along a thick forest cover to reach the third peak. But the third peak hasn’t any good view points. You will find some small kind of footpaths that were made by the wild animals. It’s not tough to reach to the fourth peak. Where you can see a clear picture of the surrounded villages and mountains. People believe it is the best viewpoint in the Knuckles Five Peaks. Fourth Peak is also an excellence place for camping. Where you can also find a water resource.
Alugalkanda, Gombaniya, Yakunge Hela, Aliya Watunu Ela, Spinix 2, Wamarapugala, Lakegala, Dumbanagala, Kehelpothdoruwa, Kalupahana 2 and Thunhisgala are the some of the prominent peaks that you can see from the 4th peak. Gomaraya, Thangappuwa, Dawatagala, Cobert Gap and Meemure are the some of the villages that you can observe also. Apart from these, you will see Victoria Reservior from the distance. Further, you can observe most of the areas in the Knuckles Forest Reserve.
A downward sloping walk will carry you to the fifth peak. It seems like the lowest elevation among all peaks. Few of the travelers crossed the fifth peak and take onto the Alugal Kanda. It is another peak that is situated in the same range. But its most parts have covered by the forest. Most of the travelers complete their hike in the fifth peak and return. If you can flight a drone in here, that will show how terrific place that you are staying.
Things to Consider During the Hike
- Please use your own vehicles to reach the Knuckles Five Peak. If you are planning to use public transport, then busses are available in Thangappuwa side.
- You can start from the Dawatagala side and ended up it with the Thangappuwa side.
- Alugal Lena is a nice place that will meet on the Thangappuwa road. However, Thangappuwa route is much longer rather than the Bambarella route.
- Total trekking distance to the fifth peak via Dawatagala is about 7.5 km. This is nearly 15 km from the Thangappuwa side.
- Start your trek early as possible because the entire hike will take more than 8 hours to finish.
- Don’t forget to bring enough water. There are no water resources until the 4th peak.
- Please be careful about the weather forecast. The hike is extremely difficult in the rainy days. There have sudden changing climate and be ready for the rain in anytime.
- There are no connection signals during the whole hike. So, you have to finish all your calls before the trek.
- Knuckles Five Peaks and surround area controlled by the Forest Department in Sri Lanka. Therefore, you have to get permission from them before the hike. Tickets are available in the Teldeniya Regional Forest Conservation Center that is located in the Digana town.
- Don’t harm any plant or a Wild Animal. You will be punished according to the rules of Forest Department.
- If you start your journey from Teldeniya, He can also join to the Dawatagala starting point. There is a route near the Rangala Natural Pool, and it will take you to the Gomare side.